ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Foreach task)
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:09:52 GMT
<asr@ufl.edu> wrote:

> 'There should be no argument to any ant task which takes only a
> singular argument.  It should take a list of possibly one item, and
> promote a singular argument to a list of one if necessary.'

I've been playing with that idea for some time as well - and came to
the point that this would be much worse than a core-iterate task IMHO.

I'm not sure how you've envisioned this yourself, I see two possible
implementations:

(1) *All* tasks must deal with iteration themselves.  Well, this makes
writing tasks a lot harder than it currently is.

(2) Tasks don't have to be aware that they are dealing with sets, Ant
will invoke them once per set member.  Using this approach you add
iteration into the core instead of moving it to the task level, this
would mean adding complexity to a much bigger degree.

Stefan