ant-user mailing list archives

From "Helliwell, Matthew" <Matthew.Helliw...@DRKW.com>
Subject RE: The build directory
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:41:31 GMT
I haven't read either book, but my tuppence worth is below:

Depends why you're building. If you're just doing a development build in
your own sandbox, then no, I wouldn't bother copying them. If you're
building a version for UAT or production then you want a build environment
as independent from your development area as possible. This is to ensure you
don't pick up any pieces of code/files etc that may be in your development
area.

Ideally you can create a separate user for builds so you can have complete
control over the environment, such as picking up the right classpath.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Adams [mailto:kadams@gfs.com]
Sent: 29 June 2001 15:50
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: The build directory

In several of the papers I've read on using Ant (specifically Ant in Anger
and the short tutorial on Ant in the Cactus subproject), a "build" directory
is included in the "ideal" directory structure.  Build, as far as I can
tell, is used a temporary holding place for source files while Ant is
compiling them.  Right now the scripts I'm creating make use of this;
however, I can't explain why, and my supervisors are asking "why?"  So I'll
propose the question to the list - why copy source files to a temporary
directory instead of compiling them straight from the source directory?

Kyle