ant-user mailing list archives

From "Baldry, Scot M" <Scot.Bal...@gs.com>
Subject RE: recursive ant build: recommendation?
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:28:23 GMT
Jim,

We currently use ANT in an environment very similar to one that you describe
in your original email. A team of approx 30 developer each use the tree to
build invidual projects that are built / tested and migrated independently
intra-day but are compiled and tested over-night. To achieve this goal I
have had to do very little work:

1. I use cascading build.xml files for example:

com.abc.mypackage1
com.abc.mypackage2

The above package structure contains a total of 4 build.xml files under the
following dirs:

com/build.xml
com/abc/build.xml
com/abc/mypackage1/build.xml
com/abc/mypackage2/build.xml

2. I have factored out all my common targets to "buildCore.xml" that resides
at the top level. I spent quite some time putting this together but
basically most developers can now produce a build.xml file for a new project
in ~10 lines of XML!

3. I have extended the "ant" task so that I can now do things like

<ant antfile="build.xml" dir="abc/mypackage1"
ifexists="abc/mypackage1/build.xml" />

Let me know if you would like me to explain further,

Scot