ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Jackl-Mochel" <jmoc...@foliage.com>
Subject RE: Competition to Ant
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:23:38 GMT

The project I am currently using ANT for (and it is a little naked in some
spots as a result)
involves 6 subprojects with each one producing an EAR and at least one
additional WAR.  There are 900
support files in a common classes JAR file as well as the EJBs, Servlets,
and JSPs.
This is not a matter of uncontrolled development. It has all been carefully
designed but it is a very
large project. 20 engineers including QA and DBAs on the core functionality.

It is the insistence on reuse, in part, that has caused many of our
problems. Front end service classes
with back end EJBs looks good on paper but deploying them in the Weblogic
environment is currently a
bit ugly.

In addition we are using the same build file tree for overnight builds and
developer builds.
The build files allow us to do the folowing as independent steps:
	clean all files
	Generate java doc
	Run Unit Tests
	Compile
	Assemble - Make jars, ejb jars, etc...
	Package - Make EARs and WARs
	Deploy to the test machine
	Run JTest against the source tree.
	Unit Test the deployed components

Add in the fact that we must execute the unit tests with several different
configurations and it makes for some fun ANT files.

I am actually very happy with how much we have been able to automatre with
relatively little work.
But the things that I have run into that are somewhat problematic:

	Tasks are not always consistent in use of attributes, inherited behaviour
etc..
	Decisions on dependencies appear not to be settable at runtime
	Decisions on what results stop a build dont seem to be settable at runtime
	Targets not tasks may be conditional executed.

	There are other smaller gotchas but as I said. Overall I am glad that we
have been able to automate what we have as quickly as we did.

Jim JM