ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Jackl-Mochel" <jmoc...@foliage.com>
Subject RE: recursive ant build: recommendation?
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:40:37 GMT
Sure,
	It boils down to the fact that the single ANT file becomes a
contended resource for almost _all_ package rearrangements, deployment
configuration
changes, other infrastructure changes , etc..

As an example of the last. While putting together the deployment process for
several
different appservers from the same source I ran into the differences between
the weblogic
5.1 and 6.0 ejbc tools (and other deployment tools). Because I couldn't
conditionally
execute different versions of the targets based on the version of the
appserver selected I
had to make a bunch of complex changes to the ANT files for several days
that left the
single ANT file unavailable for normal configuration changes.

We have to keep track of the fact that with component based applications
deployment is just as much
of a part of the process as compilation. What that means to me for now is
that I have to plan on the
build system changing rapidly over time as we add in responsibilities to the
process.

A similar drastic change performed after I had refactored out the targets
into separate
files took a matter of less than a day to test and deploy. At the very least
I would
argue that this demonstrates the desirability of separating the target
definitions from
the main body of the ANT files.

Even with a revision control system that allows simultaneous check out the
problems
are more likely to crop up than otherwise. Changes to the build process or
configuration
are likelier to collide with other changes of like type than any source code
changes.

Does this help explain wheer I am coming from ?

Jim JM