ant-user mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <mwom...@bevocal.com>
Subject RE: DOCTYPE strippper WAS: RE: Filters
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:38:09 GMT
Greg, I agree that this functionality would be useful.  But I think a
general solution of supporting regular expressions in the replace task would
be better than one specific to DOCTYPE's.  Then you could do just about
anything. (And the commenting the DOCTYPE's out instead of removing is a
better practice.  I think we will adopt it ourselves...)

I dug around in the ant-dev archive, and I found the following message that
has an optional task that performs regular expression replacement.  I'm
surprised that something like this has not already been added into Ant, as
an optional task at least.  I haven't had a chance to try this new task out,
and there is a dependency on the ant oro regular expression package (another
cool Jakarta package).

http://www.mail-archive.com/ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg00761.html

Thanks to everyone for their help, this is a great list.
-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg 'Cosmo' Haun [mailto:GHaun@cenquest.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 10:24 AM
To: 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: DOCTYPE strippper WAS: RE: Filters

There is a common need, I believe, to strip out DOCTYPES from XML docs.  We
managed with a series of <replace>s  to strip out every permutation of
DOCTYPES we use.  Not terribly efficient.  Do I smell a task brewing? an
option to <copy>?

PS actually we don't strip them, we comment them out.  That way we can
determine type and version by brute force if needed, yet parsers don't choke
for lack of DTD.

Gregory Cosmo Haun
Architect, Interactive Development, Cenquest, Inc.
tele: 503.276.7943    email: ghaun[youknowwhat]cenquest.com