ant-user mailing list archives

From "McNamara, Sean (Contractor)" <SMcNam...@universalaccess.net>
Subject RE: The build directory
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:45:11 GMT
Perhaps I'm doing things differently than most (although I don't think so,)
but my "build" directory is used to hold the compiled output of the build
process.  I have subdirectories underneath for segments of the build that
require separate class trees (system, ejb, test, etc) and underneath those
have directories for classes, lib, etc.

This lets me compile the files, and leaves me with a directory structure
that can easily be jarred without having to resort to complicated manifests,
or something similar.

I haven't seen the build dir used for source files, but perhaps I haven't
looked in the same places you have.

Hope that helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Adams [mailto:kadams@gfs.com]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 9:50 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: The build directory

In several of the papers I've read on using Ant (specifically Ant in Anger
and the short tutorial on Ant in the Cactus subproject), a "build" directory
is included in the "ideal" directory structure.  Build, as far as I can
tell, is used a temporary holding place for source files while Ant is
compiling them.  Right now the scripts I'm creating make use of this;
however, I can't explain why, and my supervisors are asking "why?"  So I'll
propose the question to the list - why copy source files to a temporary
directory instead of compiling them straight from the source directory?

Kyle