ant-user mailing list archives

From "McNamara, Sean (Contractor)" <SMcNam...@universalaccess.net>
Subject RE: WLRun Frustrations...
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:46:39 GMT
Sorry to follow up on my own thread, but I've got a general question
regarding ANT task development.

Is there any defined policy or best-practice defined for when it's
appropriate to create a new ant task, or when it should be simply done by
calling something like the <JAVA> task?

Looking at what it would take to hot-deploy to weblogic, it's simple enough
to do with the java tag, but I'm seeing a bunch of tags that are also simple
to do using <java> that have been released as custom ANT tasks (<WLRun> for
instance.)

What are the guidelines for when to develop a custom task, and when not to,
at least from a "What would potentially be brought back into the ANT
project" standpoint.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: McNamara, Sean (Contractor) [mailto:SMcNamara@universalaccess.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 4:11 PM
To: 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: WLRun Frustrations...

Since ANT doesn't multi-thread tasks (and according to the main site, won't
do it until sometime after the v2.0 release, if ever) I've been trying to
come up with some other options.  Currently, I've got a shell script that
drives the build process, including calling ANT at various points, starting
the server, etc. however the fact that it's a shell script means there are
some portability issues across OS's.

I'm considering (if nobody has done it already) writing a task to hot-deploy
beans to weblogic.  This has a couple problems:

   1. It only addresses Beans (JSP's and Servlets are not a problem, but
system support classes potentially are.)
   2. I don't think all servers support hot-deployment, so this limits the
applicability of the solution.

That being said, if I can hot-deploy the beans to weblogic to test them from
within ANT, it will still be a benefit to us.

Has anyone already done this, or do people think it would be worthwhile?