ant-user mailing list archives

From Viraj Purang <viraj_pur...@spincircuit.com>
Subject RE: Java Dependencies ...
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:38:01 GMT
Hi Diane,
   It definitely  helped me...

But I do remember having read in the "javac" description on java.sun.com
that javac's handling of "The need for recompilation" is not dependable and
-depend option is more desirable to use. eg:
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/tooldocs/win32/javac.html

"By default, javac considers a class file out of date only if it is older
than the source file. (The -Xdepend option specifies a slower but more
reliable procedure."

Another clarification is about the javac task itself :  you said

"In any case, it isn't used to associate a dependency from the classfiles to
the sourcefiles -- that's done by the <javac> task itself".

Do you mean that the functionality is taken care of, by the "javac task
implementation in ANT" OR
comes to Ant intrinsically because "Javac executable which Ant
implementation from java.sun.com is supposed to handle this  behaviour".

I have just completed a compilation script using Ant ...and based on
deductions I make regarding (which files are (re-)compiled and which are
not) I shall get back to you with more questions...

I am currently using something like ...

  <target name="build-main">

    <depend srcdir="com/spincircuit"
        destdir="{client.build}/classes"
        cache="depcache"
    closure="yes"/>

    <javac   srcdir="com/spincircuit" destdir="${client.build}/classes"
depend="on"

classpath="${symbeans.jar}:${jsdk.jar}:${activation.jar}:${xerces.jar}:${ser
vlet.jar}:${mail.jar}:${jaws.jar}:
${sfc.jar}:${bsf.jar}:${js.jar}:${jsse.jar}:${jnet.jar}:${jcert.jar}:${basev
ol}"
             deprecation="off" debug="on" optimize="off" target="1.2"
             excludes="**/CVS/**">
    </javac>

  </target>

Can you suggest the expected outcome of this set of statements ?

Regards,
Viraj Purang