ant-user mailing list archives

From S Page <sp...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Ant documentation (was: Re: javax.sql.DataSource(Thanks!!))
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:31:11 GMT
The ant documentation explains the features of ant.  But it lacks explanation of the purpose
of those features.  It has the methods, but not the motivation.

Take any feature -- properties, tasks, token filters, path-like structures, etc. -- and there
is no explanation of why ant has this feature and what it's good for.  So I'm staggering around
in the dark trying to figure out what Ant features will get me where I want to go (and I consider
myself pretty expert at old-skool Makefiles).

I can't fix this myself yet, but the recipe is to add to every feature's section in the manual
a paragraph similar to:

"You use this feature to ....
Or you might want to accomplish .... ,
and this feature can help by ....."

Supportively yours,
--
=S Page  a www.macromedia.com site engineer

"There is much software that is essential to a business, but which does not differentiate
that business from its competitors"
http://www.perens.com/Articles/StandTogether.html