ant-user mailing list archives

From "Swart, James (Jim) ** CTR **" <swa...@agere.com>
Subject RE: Psychology and community.
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:41:44 GMT
wow.  *claps hands and gives a standing ovation*.. that was well put.

-----Original Message-----
From: asr@ufl.edu [mailto:asr@ufl.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 11:33 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Psychology and community.

Responding "Well, submit a patch, then" to every gripe has several flaws.
It
presumes:

 + The griper is familliar enough with development tools to mechanically
   accomplish a patch generation

 + The griper is sufficiently familiar with java that they are capable of
   coding the new behavior

 + The griper is sufficiently familiar with ant that they are capable of
   presenting a patch from which the maintainers will not flee, holding
their
   noses.

Additionally, it presents a tremendously arrogant perspective to the rest of
the user (and thus potential developer) community.  It is much more work to
deflect these gripes productively, but then that's why the prominent members
of the team want to get there, right?  You want a better, coherent product,
not some slapped-together collision of philosophies coded piecemeal by
novices.

.... Right?

I've gotten and seen this response several times.  I'm trying to shut up and
soldier for my own part.  However, I'm a bit intimidated by the ant
structure,
especially as active as the development list is... and I consider myself
more
than trivially clued about development strategies.  It'd be especially
intimidating to someone who's looking at ant to -learn- how to do project
management.

The sum message is that the ant-clue don't think enough of the feedback to
even respond politely.

- Allen S. Rout
- paying dues working on ant-wise cvs maintainance tasks, as suggested.