ant-user mailing list archives

From "Swart, James (Jim) ** CTR **" <swa...@agere.com>
Subject RE: Ant documentation (was: Re: javax.sql.DataSource(Thanks!!))
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:54:03 GMT
yes.. there are TONS of java docs on suns java.sun.com site you can
reference.. there are even tutors.

-----Original Message-----
From: S Page [mailto:spage@macromedia.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 7:31 PM
To: 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Ant documentation (was: Re: javax.sql.DataSource(Thanks!!))

The ant documentation explains the features of ant.  But it lacks
explanation of the purpose of those features.  It has the methods, but not
the motivation.

Take any feature -- properties, tasks, token filters, path-like structures,
etc. -- and there is no explanation of why ant has this feature and what
it's good for.  So I'm staggering around in the dark trying to figure out
what Ant features will get me where I want to go (and I consider myself
pretty expert at old-skool Makefiles).

I can't fix this myself yet, but the recipe is to add to every feature's
section in the manual a paragraph similar to:

"You use this feature to ....
Or you might want to accomplish .... ,
and this feature can help by ....."

Supportively yours,
--
=S Page  a www.macromedia.com site engineer

"There is much software that is essential to a business, but which does not
differentiate that business from its competitors"
http://www.perens.com/Articles/StandTogether.html