ant-user mailing list archives

From "Peterson, Lance" <lpeter...@verticore.com>
Subject RE: Ant 1.3 sequence of tasks but would like concurrent?
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:11:48 GMT
Isn't intra-task multithreading already possible?  A task could spawn its
own worker threads and synchronize on them before returning.  I thought
"Multithreaded execution of tasks within the same target" means that targets
will be able to concurrently execute their contained tasks.  Thus a target
could be written that would ftp files to multiple servers simultaneously,
without the ftp task having to be aware of the multithreading.  Have I
misunderstood the Ant2.0 feature list?

-----Original Message-----
From: McNamara, Sean (Contractor) [mailto:SMcNamara@universalaccess.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 10:20 AM
To: 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Ant 1.3 sequence of tasks but would like concurrent?

My understanding is that multiple commnads within a task will be
multithreaded, the multiple threads will be joined at the end of the
containing task.

This means you could have something like the followingn (note: I have no
idea if there will actually be a multithread param, or what the specifics of
the code are, but the following seems possible/likely:

<task name="startAllServers" multithread="yes">
   <startServer name="server1" ... />
   <startServer name="server2" ... />
   <startServer name="server3" ... />
</task>

When the task starts, it will create three child threads, and execute the
startserver task in each one.  The startAllServers task will wait for all
three subtasks to complete before finishing.  The important thing to note is
that each sub-task MUST finish and return before the system continues the
build process.

The second type of multithreading (which was rejected) would allow us to
multithread entire tasks, meaning the build process wouldn't stop and wait
for a return.  This is important when doing things like starting Application
Servers.  There are a couple of ways to get this behavior without it being
in ANT.  I'm working on figuring out the best solution right now, and will
follow up with a post once I've worked it out.