ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject RE: Competition to Ant
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:27:16 GMT
It's more a matter of "complex" as Peter D. suggested, and, in
most of the cases where there is "complexity" to deal with, it
is a matter of the organizational complexity (multiple organizational
projects contributing to one or more products) and a need to present
a *very* simple face to the developers who use it.

For example, here's a project build file (with some expository comments
removed for e-mail brevity):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE project
        [<!ENTITY property  SYSTEM "file:../../sysbuild/property.xml">
         <!ENTITY targets   SYSTEM "file:../../sysbuild/target.xml">]>
<project name="gtpd" basedir=".." default="build">

    <!-- OVERRIDE PARAMETERS BEGIN HERE -->

    <!-- Include property.xml which defines the default properties.  -->
    &property;

    <!-- LOCAL CLASSPATH ELEMENT -->
    <path id="local.classpath">
        <fileset dir="${eombutil}" includes="**/*.jar"/>
    </path>

    <!-- SUPPLEMENTAL TARGETS BEGIN HERE -->

    <!-- Include target.xml which defines the default targets.  -->
    &targets;

</project>

Behind this, of course, are the property.xml and target.xml files which
are responsible for setting up a standard environment and target set
to support the *product* build.

It should be noted that in order to make this work as cleanly as it does
I needed to patch ant in a couple of ways:

1.  expand properties in the target element's depend attribute's value.
2.  fix <tarfileset> to use it's "dir" value instead of the tar's basedir
3.  add the "outputproperty" attribute to <exec> to store the output of a
    command in a property.

And we wrote a custom task to handle building Solaris Packages from what
we built.

It would be even cleaner with a <foreach> :-)

-Peter