ant-user mailing list archives

From Bill Clinton <bclin...@snipermail.com>
Subject Can ant read environment variables?
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:33:02 GMT
Hello,
      I have read in the ant documentation that build files have access
to environment variables, but I am unable to get this to work.  In my
.bashrc, I have:

WEBAPP=/usr/local/resin-1.2.7/webapps
export WEBAPP

and when I type "env" I see that this has been set.  In my build.xml, I
have the following two lines:

     <property name="webapp.home" value="${WEBAPP}"/>
     <property name="deploy.home" value="${webapp.home}/test"/>

I then use "deploy.home" to copy files etc.  But when I build, I get the
following:

[copy] Copying 11 files to /home/bclinton/work/test/${WEBAPP}/test/WEB-INF

It is creating a directory in my basedir called ${WEBAPP} and copying
files there.  Not exactly what I had in mind.  If I set "webapp.home" to
an absolute path, it works fine.  But I would like it so that the same
buildfile can be used by multiple developers, who would specify
differences with environmental variables.

Can someone please point out what I am doing wrong here?  Or if this is
a known problem?

One more question: I would have liked to research this question some
more before asking: is there an archive of the ant-user list?  I
couldn't find one, and I have only been subscribed for around three weeks.

Thanks,
Bill