ant-user mailing list archives

From dave young <dyo...@bsis.com.au>
Subject obtaining arguments from the ant command line [newbie]
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:36:29 GMT
hi,

i would really like to be able to pass down command line arguments (that
have been specified to ant on the command line) to some of my tasks
(well, java classes in my tasks). i have scoured the on-line docs and
have not managed to uncover a means of accomplishing this.

is this just a no-go area in ant, or does anybody know of a way of
uncovering the values of command line arguments specified to ant??

the reason for me wanting to do this is as follows;
i have a class, which given a class or resource, will output where
abouts that resource was loaded, this can really help out when
diagnosing java code.
i have a common classpath which i use throughout my project.
i would like to make a "find" task within my build.xml file which reads
a resource/class name from the command line (ie: the next argument after
the "find" task name) and submits that string to my finding class, using
the same classpath as my building and testing tasks.

hope somebody can either let me know how to do this or point out why i
am going about this completely the wrong way. i've been using makefiles
quite happily for donkeys years and do want to give this ant thing a go.

regards,

dave young.