ant-user mailing list archives

From "Larry V. Streepy, Jr." <stre...@healthlanguage.com>
Subject Re: for-each (another proposal)
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:46:54 GMT
I'm opposed to this for one main reason: it forces me to study and learn
XSLT just do to something trivial like "foreach".

Brett Knights wrote:

> Consider this:
>
> <taskTransformer> <!-- as it's not just a for-each (name suggestions gratefully
accepted)-->

>   <elements row-elem-name="file"> <!-- this will become the xml source that
will be passed to the stylesheet -->
>     <fileSet .../>
>   </elements>
>
>   <taskStyle>
>   <!-- everything in here is treated as a template that would normally be defined
as <xsl:template match="/" -->
>     <xsl:for-each select="file">
>       <touch file="{ant:full-path(.)}"/> <!-- anticipating some ant specific
extensions. The example could use file="." -->
>     </xsl:for-each>
>   </taskStyle>
>
>   <templates>
>   ... <!-- optional section if further templates are required -->
>   </templates>
>
> </taskTransformer>
>
> It's not a great deal different than each of us writing a scripted task when we want
to run over a set of files except:
>  - we can still use fileSets rather than relying on our scripting language's file system
access routines.
>  - any task could be used in a for-each mode without modification
>  - what is produced is used as though the fully transformed version had appeared in the
original build.xml
>  - the full power of xslt is available should it be needed. (and is there to bite you
...)

> The task would assemble the included elements into a stylesheet that would import a standard
stylesheet (therefore any xsl:
> directives in the build.xml would override the standards).
>
> One nice thing about the xslt route is that xslt is already fully documented. :-)
>
> There is enough work here that I won't just code it up, submit it, and see if it makes
it. If this seems viable to others and  has a
> chance of making it into official Ant I'll take on developing it though. (At which time
I guess further discussions would go on the
> Ant-Developer's list)

> Brett Knights                             250-338-3509 work
> brett@KnightsOfTheNet.com                 250-334-8309 home

Larry V. Streepy, Jr.