ant-user mailing list archives

From Mark Ashton <>
Subject RE: Including property files
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:07:57 GMT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the file attribute on property
had to point to a java property file, which doesn't use xml syntax. The ant
docs say:

By setting the file attribute with the filename of the property file to
load. This property file has the format as defined by the file used in the
class java.util.Properties.

I assume by the .xml extension on your file that these are other ant

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Eaves []
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 12:56 AM
Subject: Including property files

Hi all,

Did a quick search of the archives, but didn't come up with what
I wanted.

I've got a project build file (build.xml) that includes a
platform specific file (windows_env.xml or unix_env.xml)
depending on the platform.

Within the *_env.xml files is a

<property file="user_env.xml" />

So users can just modify one file and the rest can stay
in CVS unchanged.  The local file has things like the
source and deployment roots, etc, etc.

The user_env.xml file doesn't seem to be included/parsed as
ant -v doesn't show anything particularly interesting, and
the <echo message="${}" /> displays ${} and
gives a nice error message in ant -v.

Help !

    -- jon

Jon Eaves <>