ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: The build directory
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:08:03 GMT
--- Kyle Adams <kadams@gfs.com> wrote:
> In several of the papers I've read on using Ant (specifically Ant in
> Anger and the short tutorial on Ant in the Cactus subproject), a "build"
> directory is included in the "ideal" directory structure.  Build, as far
> as I can tell, is used a temporary holding place for source files while
> Ant is compiling them.  Right now the scripts I'm creating make use of
> this; however, I can't explain why, and my supervisors are asking "why?"
>  So I'll propose the question to the list - why copy source files to a
> temporary directory instead of compiling them straight from the source
> directory?

For the Cactus one, it looks like the idea is that they have files with
tokens that need to be replaced, so they do a copy-with-filtering. I'm
assuming this means they have tokens either in every file or in at least
enough files to make copying the entire tree worthwhile (or they have a
really small tree). If you don't have that, then I can't think of any
reason why you'd copy all your source to another tree.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)