ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Java Dependencies ...
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:59:11 GMT
Viraj,

Before you go to a lot of trouble writing a long message, let me see if I
can clear things up a bit. The "depend" attribute of the <javac> task does
just one thing: When set to true (or yes or on), as in depend="true", it
will include the -depend flag on the compile command-line. What including
that flag on the compile command-line does is determined by the compiler
you're using. Personally, I never use it. In any case, it isn't used to
associate a dependency from the classfiles to the sourcefiles -- that's
done by the <javac> task itself. The <javac> task will find all the
specified .java files (or all .java files under "srcdir" if no files were
specified) and determine which need to be (re-)compiled, based on whether
a corresponding classfile exists and is newer than the source-file.

Hope this helps,
Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)