ant-user mailing list archives

From a..@ufl.edu
Subject Re: looping (RE: Foreach task)
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:02:23 GMT

=> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:42:01 -0700, Peter  Vogel <pvogel@arsin.com> said:

[ ... iteration ... ]

Time out?

I think that the terms of this debate need some definition.  I have heard
people arguing 'for' and 'against' iteration with the same essential examples,
which makes me think we (or at least I) don't all agree what we're arguing
about.  While a fine setting for a good horse-beating, such is unlikely to
actually foment consensus.  ;)

So:  What is the essence of 'iteration' for the purpose of this debate?

==-

I define a set of input files Si, a set of corresponding output files So, and
a process trans(Fi) by which an individual Fi may be transformed to Fo, and
let ant figure out where it's necessary.

Is that iteration?

==-

I define a set of input files Si, a function up-to-date(Fi) to tell if an
individual Fi has been processed, and a process trans(Fi) to do the right
thing (perhaps untar, jar, whatever)

Is that iteration?

==-

- Allen S. Rout