ant-user mailing list archives

From "O'Hara, Patrick" <patrick.oh...@workscape.com>
Subject RE: script task: suggestion about the docs
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:29:27 GMT
I am working on an Introduction to Ant for my company.  Do you have a
particular name of someone working on a "a gentle introduction for
beginners"?

Pat O
pdohara@techneex.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 12:56 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: script task: suggestion about the docs

Brett Knights <brett@knightsofthenet.com> wrote:

> Notice the "available documentation" clause in my original post.
> Regardless of our intentions, what is right, what should be done, or
> any other consideration:
>
> - open source projects with complete documentation are an exception
> rather than a rule.

what is a complete documentation anyway?

I think Ant's manual as a users guide is doing quite a good job - and
all patches to it get committed quite fast.  What we are missing for
sure are things like a developers guide or a gentle introduction for
beginners.  Some people have been working on both.

> - no one is jumping up to say "No more development until the docs
> are complete"

True, and I doubt that many users would appreciate something like
this.

> - no one is jumping up to say "I'll spend all my free time upgrading
> the docs"

Not quite true.  If you get lucky, there are some people who use a
piece of software and want to contribute to it even though they are
not hackers (programmers, whatever you want to call it).  If you get
extra lucky, they can write.  One example would be the documentation
subproject of the Apache httpd <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/>.

Stefan