ant-user mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject Re: The build directory
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:42:59 GMT
Hi Kyle,

1/ The "build" directory is called by different among projects. Some called
it "build", others "out", ....
2/ It is needed for several reasons. Regarding the copy of source files the
main reason is to apply filter tokens (<filter> task in Ant), like change
version in source file or date or ...However this directory is also used for
other reasons: several target might need to manipulate class files : a jar
target need to have the source files compiled first for instance. Where
would you put these files otherwise ... ?

Thanks
Vincent

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kyle Adams" <kadams@gfs.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 3:50 PM
Subject: The build directory

In several of the papers I've read on using Ant (specifically Ant in Anger
and the short tutorial on Ant in the Cactus subproject), a "build" directory
is included in the "ideal" directory structure.  Build, as far as I can
tell, is used a temporary holding place for source files while Ant is
compiling them.  Right now the scripts I'm creating make use of this;
however, I can't explain why, and my supervisors are asking "why?"  So I'll
propose the question to the list - why copy source files to a temporary
directory instead of compiling them straight from the source directory?

Kyle