ant-user mailing list archives

From wi...@msoft.com (Will Hartung)
Subject Re: perl scripts for tomcat.
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:40:35 GMT
This is very simple.

If all of the "meat" is moved into another "common" scripting language
(Perl/Python/Tcl/bash/etc), then that "common" scripting language would have
to be installed on all of the platforms.

If the Ant project does not require the "common" scripting language to be
installed on all platforms, then the Ant project must STILL maintain the
.bat and .sh versions for those who do not have the "common" scripting
language.

So, now rather than maintain 2 startup scripts, you have to maintain 3 (5 if
you include the 1 liner .sh/.bat) scripts.

With .sh and .bat, The Project already encompasses a VAST majority of
scripting languages on all platforms. While (Perl/Python/Tcl/bash...) may be
common, they are not ubiquitous like the Bourne Shell (and clones) and the
DOS .bat file. openVMS, AS/400, OS/390, etc users are left in the cold, but,
right or wrong, those communities is used to being left in the cold. I'm
sure The Project would be most grateful if someone submitted appropriate
startup scripts to fill those voids.

The proper approach is to define a necesary subset required for the
"scripts", write the scripts in Something Else, and then "compile" the base
scripts into the appropriate scripting language. I know of at least one
system that does this.

Oh, yes, I completely agree that it's a sick idea. But it fixes whatever
perceived "problem" there may be...one of those "kill or cure" solutions.

Best Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)