ant-user mailing list archives

From "Suu Quan" <sq...@wwc.com>
Subject resursive ant build: recommendation?
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:28:21 GMT
I am solliciting recommendation from this group on whether recursive
build.xml files is a recommended pattern.

In make, it is a common practice to build a makefile for each
package/subpackage/component. Then at the upper level, you invoke the
sub-level makefiles.

For a not-so-clean design, compilation dependencies force the build system
to first create a dependency list, usually creating makefiles dynamically,
then executing them in a known order. This occupies a good 20-40% of the
build time.

With Ant and Javac, it seems that I can get away with one toplevel build
file and skip that intermediate step of finding dependencies.
Is this the recommendation for Java type of builds?

The above is possible, I think, due to capability of javac to resolve
dependencies. (correct me  please if I'm wrong, even slightly)
What about other languages: C, C++ ...

Thanks in advance