ant-user mailing list archives

From (Will Hartung)
Subject Re: per directory make file?
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:24:47 GMT
Regarding the per directory make file, this is simply done with the <ant>

<ant dir="${subproject.dir}" target="build">

The only key thing to note here is that any properties set within the
"master" build.xml file will bubble down into the dependant build.xml.

Other than that, this works just peachy.

Will Hartung

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kyle Adams" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: per directory make file?

I posted a similar question today (see "Build script design issues").  I
wonder if there are any more articles out there on best practices for Ant
scripts - the articles I've read so far have not been that specific.  I'm
looking forward to see what responses we get to our question.

>>> 06/26/01 03:10PM >>>
I am in the process of creating an ant replacement for our current make file
build.  We have a make file per directory that specifies which files within
that directory should be compiled.  This allows our developers to have files
in the source tree that are not built as part of the normal build.

Is there a similar method/task for ant?  I thought I heard mention of a
similar task on this mailing list, but I cannot find it in the archives.

What is considered a best practice in regards to this?  I prefer having just
the required files in the source tree, and having the auxilary files in
another tree.  Then we can just use the javac task directly to compile all
the files.  But I can see where some flexibility is useful.

View raw message