ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to update a jar?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 06:03:53 GMT
Diane Holt <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jon Skeet <jon.skeet@peramon.com> wrote:
>>
>> The jar task actually extends the zip task, IIRC. Does the zip
>> task have update features? I didn't think so, but I could be
>> wrong.
>
> I don't think <zip> does, either.

No, it doesn't.

> And I think the reason the <jar> task doesn't is because Ant tries
> to be compatible with JDK 1.1, and that didn't offer the -u flag for
> its 'jar' command.

I don't think, this really is the reason.  Technically, there is no
way to update a zip archive (call it zip or jar or war or whatever),
you always have to create a new one mixing content.

Using the approach Jon showed in his first mail (move the old archive,
create a new one, delete the old one) is the only thing one can do -
that doesn't mean that Ant couldn't hide this mechanism from the user,
moving and deleting archives under the covers.

Stefan