ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using ant to build gcc project
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2001 02:47:27 GMT
At 11:32 PM 5/31/01 +0200, Timothee Besset wrote:
>I'd like to experiment using ant to build a project with gcc. I'm
>looking for a worthy replacement to the Makefile system which blows. Has
>anyone got experience with this?

a little amount.

>And possibly documented a bit the
>advantages and pitfalls, how he did it somewhere?

Personally I wouldn't use ant to compile to C/C++ just yet. There is
currently no built in support for such things. I would recomend still
calling out to make for native builds unless you want to take the time to
write a custom task. The custom task would do dependencies+compilation and
would ideally be modelled after javac.

>My main problems are:
>
>- I have to deal with several module dependencies, some settings must be
>propagated across dependencies

not sure what you mean - could you expand?

>- I need to deal with header dependencies (i.e. include files) during
>rebuilds

Theres tools out in java-land to find this (one is at alphaworks and there
is also a few os ones).

>I will probably try to achieve that based around the <exec> command,
>does anyone have info/advice about setting up a system to prepare the
>CFLAGS, LFLAGS and other command line settings across ant?

Ouch. Just a warning - your build files will not look pretty ;)

BTW if this is for qeradiant then I am happy to help or even write the gcc
task for you.

Cheers,

Pete