ant-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Thompson <andr...@quidnunc.com>
Subject RE: How to update a jar?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 14:17:03 GMT

> I don't think, this really is the reason.  Technically, there is no
> way to update a zip archive (call it zip or jar or war or whatever),
> you always have to create a new one mixing content.
>
> Using the approach Jon showed in his first mail (move the old archive,
> create a new one, delete the old one) is the only thing one can do -
> that doesn't mean that Ant couldn't hide this mechanism from the user,
> moving and deleting archives under the covers.

You know, I always used to believe that too, but once I made a comment on
some mailing list (I forget which now) and was flamed to death by some guy
who said he'd written 'XXXX' a popular Zip tool and he knew for a fact you
could append entries. I suspect the Java classes that do Zip compression
aren't so flexible...

AndyT

I am the cat who walks through walls, all places and all times are alike to
me.

Disclaimer: any text after this line was not written by the author of this
message

confidential, copyright, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.If you
receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies
of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or
copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are
free from any virus, we would advise you to ensure they are indeed virus
free. We do not, to the extent permitted by law, accept any liability
(whether in contract, negligence or otherwise) for any virus infection
and/or external compromise of security and/or breach of confidentiality in
relation to transmissions sent by e-mail.

Quidnunc and each of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states
otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any
such entity.