ant-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Thompson <andr...@quidnunc.com>
Subject RE: Ant not compiling all it should
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 20:26:27 GMT

> AndyT says:
>     >Unless you're doing something odd, its javac which
> determines what is and
>     >isn't compiled, not ant.
>
> I thought Ant went through and only presented obviously
> out-of-date files
> to Javac in the first place?  (Of course, I would think that
> would foul up
> the Javac dependancy mechanism, but what do I know...)

Not as far as I know, it just passes everything which matches your
pattern(sets).
I didn't write the javac task though, others on the list can tell you with
100% conviction.
Why not post the relevant part of your build.xml file?

>     >The only times I've seen javac behave as you
>     >describe are when your source code is not arranged in a
> directory structure
>     >which mirrors the package structure:
>
> No, that's not it.  We can run Ant n times in a row, and it
> will try to compile a *different* number of files each time.

Hmmm, again, I've seen both javac and sj (the visual cafe compiler) do this
without being anywhere near ant. Its for the package layout reasons I
described, but I take it you've verified that isn't your problem?

> If a particular file contains a syntax error, it might complain about
> it the first time, but then never try to compile it again.  I
> can sometimes
> alter a file and have it be ignored -- not compiled at all unless
> I clobber the .class file.  Again, this doesn't happen *every* time,
> as would be the case if the package name/directory structure were
> out of sync.  It only happens every now and again.

Almost sounds like you've got multiple versions of the same .java file or
something unintended like that. If you post details of your build directory
layout and parts of your ant file to the list, perhaps someone can help you?
At this point I'd think everyone will need more information to comment
further.

Andrew Thompson    ::    +1 (212) 981 1926
Software Developer ::    Quidnunc

I am the cat who walks through walls, all places and all times are alike to
me.

Disclaimer: any text after this line was not written by the author of this
message

confidential, copyright, proprietary or legally privileged information.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or
copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are
free from any virus, we would advise you to ensure they are indeed virus
free. We do not, to the extent permitted by law, accept any liability
(whether in contract, negligence or otherwise) for any virus infection
and/or external compromise of security and/or breach of confidentiality in
relation to transmissions sent by e-mail.
Quidnunc and each of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to
state them to be the views of any such entity.