ant-user mailing list archives

From Viraj Purang <viraj_pur...@spincircuit.com>
Subject RE: How can I resolve Java dependencies w/o javac
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:55:50 GMT
HI,
    You guys could use a product called the JavaDepend, search on google
...you would probably get it at some university sites.You also need to
download jgl from object space and JavaCC  to make this tool work .It is the
java equivalent of Make Depend.
Regards,
Viraj Purang

-----Original Message-----
From: Brooke Wallace (EWU) [mailto:EWUBRWA@am1.ericsson.se]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 11:12 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: How can I resolve Java dependencies w/o javac

Hi,
   A friend of mine pointed out your project because you are working on an
make like environment to build java code. We are also building java code and

have a very complex, very automated build environment that uses a varient of

GNU make.

The problem that we have encountered, that I would like to ask you about is
that when you build the java code, how do you determine the code
dependencies,
or order of compilation?

I know that if I do javac *.java the java compiler will resolve all
dependencies
or if I keep my java source in the same path as the java package name. The
problem with letting the java compiler determine dependencies and what
should be
compiled is that javac only knows about timestamps. If you are using a
safisticated revision control system, as most professional development must,

then timestamps are not enough to determine whether or not to rebuild a
particular file. We are using Rational's Clearcase for revision control. It
comes with clearmake which has a GNUMake mode and is aware of clearcase:
Configuration Records (CRs) and Dervied Objects (DOs) so that it goes far
beyond using timestamps to determine what files need to be rebuilt.

Have you considered these issues for you project? Are you just using
timestamps?

Anyway what we need is someway to generate java makefile dependencies
similar
to how a lot of C compilers do with a -M option. Obviously javac does not
have
a -M option, but developing such a script would involve parsing the java
code,
and that is a substatial part of javac that has already been implemented. So

I just want to know are you guys planning to let javac determine what to
compiled for you, or have you faced this issue of dependencies and thought
of
some solution.

        -Brooke
        Ericsson Wireless Communications Inc.