ant-user mailing list archives

From Pinar Bicioglu <>
Subject RE: property names
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:13:19 GMT

I've one more question. So when we say <property name="debug" value="on" />,
what do we really mean. Same thing for <property name="optimize"
value="false" />.

Could you also please help me to understand with the one below.

property name="classpath"
/jbcl3.0.jar" />

Sorry for all of these silly and easy questions I ask. But since I have only
one source to reference, I get stuck very often :(

-----Original Message-----
From: Diane Holt []
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: property names

A property is a way to associate a value with a name that can then be
referenced by that name, using the form ${property_name}. The property
name is whatever you want to call it, although it's usually a good idea to
call it something that says something about the value it holds. For
example, a property to hold the path to the top of the source tree might
be called "srcdir". Properties are used to allow for a variable value or
as a means of having a short-hand way of referring to something.

--- Pinar Bicioglu <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Could someone please axplain to me what the "propery name" is? Actually
> the
> question is how do we specify those? I have this build.xml file that
> sets
> the compiler and location options using <property name > tag. And I have
> another build.xml file as a sample that sets different propert names.
> Are
> the names standard?
> Thanks

Do You Yahoo!?