ant-user mailing list archives

From wi...@msoft.com (Will Hartung)
Subject Re: Delete fails (more)
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:13:20 GMT
This may sound wacky, but I've had the same problem (though it was
intermittent).

What it turned out to be was that there is a W2K feature that scans and
indexes all of the files on the system for use by the Search... tool.

Many times a directory will "suddenly appear" (ala exploding a zip, or
whatever), and then you can't remove the directory. I was encountering this
with the weblogic ejb compiler.

The Indexer sees this new directory and just dives right in to start
scanning it.

This MAY be what you are experiencing, but usually a reboot solved it in my
case. Perhaps your indexer is more zealous than mine.

Try going to the Start->Search->File and Folders... window, and in the lower
left corner should be a link to the Indexing Service. If it's on, you should
turn it off.

(I had to turn mine on originally, I had the hope that it would help me find
files by name much more quickly (like locate(1)), but, alas, it doesn't...)

Luck,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)

From: <dcorbin@machturtle.com>
> Rebooting does not correc the problem.  In at least one case, cygnus rm
did remove
> the file.  Also, please note that I am doing the exact same type of thing
(expand
> and remove, both from ANT) with several other zip/tar/jar files, and none
of them
> have the problem.  The file in question does not have the ReadOnly
ATTRIBute set.