ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build order
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:03:15 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Garcia, Gilles" <Gilles.Garcia@fmr.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 8:38 PM
Subject: build order

> 1) When Ant is run with ** to traverse a complete tree and if we assume
> that a.class depends on b.class which in turn depends on c.class:
>
> (a.class) <------- (b.class) <------- (c.class)
>
> what happens if I run Ant after modifying c.class ?

what you are describing in 3) - Ant compares the dates of the files and
passes all sources which are newer than the corresponding class files to
javac (or whatever compiler you use)

> 2) javac itself, I understand, does not recompile b.class if I run
>
>        javac -depend a.class
> is this correct ?

jikes is reported to be better when it comes to dependency-handling. But I
can't tell you, I'm currently only doing "full" builds with ant (clean all
class files before compilation).

> 3) Is it Ant which make the time stamp comparison between .java sources
and
> their corresponding .class files in order to determine what to pass javac
> for
>  re-compilation, or is it javac internally which does that?

Ant does that - but I don't know what javac does after it get's passed some
arguments...

Nico