ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Javac not generating class files.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:22:55 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: <SimonRichardson2@halifax.co.uk>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 8:19 AM
Subject: RE: Javac not generating class files.

> I don't really know enough about jikes, except that it's an alternative to
> javac.
>
> Are we comparing like for like?  And is it a Java 1.3 compiler?

Quoting from the jikes Intro-Page:

"What is JikesTM?

JikesTM is a compiler that translates Java source files as defined in The
Java Language Specification into the bytecoded instruction set and binary
format defined in The Java Virtual Machine Specification.

You may wonder why the world needs another Java compiler, considering that
Sun provides javac free with its SDK. Jikes has four advantages that make it
a valuable contribution to the Linux and Java communities:

* Open source. Jikes is Certified Open Source Software by the Open Source
Initiative.
* Strictly Java compatible. Jikes adheres to both The Java Language
Specification and The Java Virtual Machine Specification as tightly as
possible, and does not support subsets, supersets, or other variations of
the language. The FAQ describes some of the side effects of this strict
language conformance.
* High performance. Jikes is a high performance compiler, making it ideal
for use with larger projects.
* Dependency analysis. Jikes performs a dependency analysis on your code
that provides two very useful features: Incremental builds and makefile
generation. "

It's "the same" as with javac (1.3) - it takes the libraries you tell him to
use and tries to generate class files from your sources. The difference
(apart from the differences mentioned above) is that javac uses the
libraries from "the jdk it was delivered with" as a default, wheras jikes
uses "nothing" as default.

If you want to be really sure that it's 100% compatible you can use jikes
for development and javac for release builds (or are there classes in the
release build which throw compile errors? :-) )

Nico