ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Finding file types in <fileset>
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:11:03 GMT
David J. Iannucci <dji@myriad.com> wrote:

> So..... if I want to write my buildfile so that it finds anything
> in a subdirectory under it and builds those, recursively, without
> hard-wiring the names, would you recommend something like the
> following?
>
>    <apply executable="ant" ..... type="dir">
>       <fileset dir="." includes="*" />
>    </apply>

No, for several reasons.

(1) You have no control about the order in which they get executed.

(2)

<execon executable="ant">
  <arg value="-f" />
  <srcfile/>
  <fileset dir="." includes="**/build.xml" />
</execon

Looks like the far more obvious choice.

(3) You are forking a new JVM for every build file. Several <ant>
tasks would run the builds in the same VM and therefore improve build
time considerably.

Apart from "avoid recursive builds" - as this really is not Ant's way
of thinking, this is trying to make Ant fit with the Makefile model -
there is not too much ATM apart from my (2) above.

An <ant> task that would use a fileset to identify subbuilds is on the
wishlist for upcomming implementations.

Stefan