ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jay Glanville" <dic...@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject Requesting feedback on a task: recorder
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:01:19 GMT
I've already posted this to the ant-dev distribution list, so if any of you
animals live in both dens, feel free to ignore. ;-)

I've found the logging functionality in ant 1.3 doesn't satisfy all my
needs.  I need to be able to record just a single target, or to turn the
logging off so that I can mail the log file to the loadbuild administrator,
or to be able to set the logfile's name within the build.xml file itself
(I'd like the filename to use the values from the <tstamp> task).

So, with necessity being the mother of invention, I'm feeling some maternal
instinct coming on.  (Or would that be paternal?  Oh well!)

I'm thinking of creating a new task, called recorder.  It's purpose is to
allow control of the logging within the build.xml file itself.
Functionality would include things like:
- being able to log just a subset of targets
- starting and stopping the logging at will
- logging to multiple files

What I'm asking for is feedback from the user community.  Would you find
such a task useful?  Is there logging functionality that currently isn't in
Ant1.3 that you'd hope this would address?  Is the task and attribute names
appropriate?  Etc., etc., etc. ... you get the idea.

I have attached an Ant-like document that describes how to use <recorder> to
this e-mail.

Thanks in advance

JDG

 <<recorder.html>>

--
Jay Dickon Glanville
P068 - SiteManager Development, Nortel Networks