ant-user mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Geisler <w.geis...@surfeu.de>
Subject World of Pain
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:55:52 GMT
I've been living in a World of Pain for the last week trying to get an
Ant file that ran fine on Windows to work on AIX. I've been assailed by
a host of bizarre classpath-related problems that seemed to have no
ultimate solution. Whenever you contrive some hack that makes one
manifestation of the problem go away, another one manifests itself in
some other way. It was gratifying for me, therefore, to find this thread
in the archives showing that someone else has been through the same
thing and even more gratifying to find that you found a solution to it.
Even reading  your description of the solution, however, I am unable to
find the solution myself. So, could you please elaborate on what you
did? Could you post the text of the modified file you made on the list?
What do you mean by the bootstrap script? Do you mean the file called
'ant' that is in the ant/bin directory ? If so, I am puzzled because the
text you quote below does not appear in my Ant 1.3 version of that file.
Or were you just giving an improvised indication of the problem below
without intending it to be textually accurate? I had also surmised that
IBM's non standard placement of the executables was somehow involved but
I have set JAVACMD and JAVAC to point to the right places. Should that
not be enough?

Its not that the bootstrap script is wrong so much as IBM in their infinite
wisdom seem to have a non-standard setup for the Java install.  This causes
problems with things in the script like:

if [ ! -x "$JAVA_HOME/bin/java" ] ; then
  echo "Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly."
  echo "  We cannot execute JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
  exit
fi

because that's not where java is executed from, its in
${JAVA_HOME}/jre/sh/java

So I commented out the above check and set JAVA=${JAVA_HOME}/jre/sh/java and
then modified any occurrences of ${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java with just ${JAVA}.
Similarly javac is not in ${JAVA_HOME}/bin/javac but rather
${JAVA_HOME}/sh/javac so I had to set the JAVAC environment variable
appropriately.

Chris