ant-user mailing list archives

From Mark Johnson <ma...@gilanet.com>
Subject mysterious error: "Cannot use classic compiler, as it is not
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:19:17 GMT
I'm trying to install tomcat on a system running Debian upgraded from
slink to potato. I've already installed the same version of tomcat
(3.2.1) on another box running potato, and on one running RH6.2.

When attempting to build from source, I get the error:  "Cannot use
classic compiler, as it is not available".

The only similar problem I can find in the archives seems to occur when
there is no PATH to javac. However, my PATH includes $JAVA_HOME/bin,
where javac resides. Eg,

mybox:# java -version
java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)
Classic VM (build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build cx130-20001124 (JIT
enabled: jitc))

I've tried changing the <property name="build.compiler" value="classic">
line in build.xml, disabling the jit compiler, etc, to no avail.

Here's the mystery: I ran './bootstrap.sh' in the ant directory, and the
build failed with: "Cannot use classic compiler, as it is not
available". But when I reinstalled the SDK, ant bootstrapped
successfully! I immediately tried './build dist' in the servletapi (3.2)
src directory, and got the same error: "Cannot use classic compiler, as
it is not available".

Can you suggest what I am overlooking? I'm at the end of my rope, and
will be grateful for any response!

TIA, Mark