ant-user mailing list archives

From Dan Christopherson <>
Subject Re: Typical Usage Question
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:32:19 GMT
On 23 Feb 2001, Spencer A Marks wrote:

> What's better:
> -Call ant from a script that sets up the environment for ant (e.g. the
> classpath, other environment variable)
> -Call Ant directly and let build.xml be responsible for setting
>  everything up correctly. (e.g. the classpath)
I like having ant set up the classpath, mostly because I can use ant's
fileset feature to include all jars in a directory in one fell swoop.

> How do people manage to keep build.xml (and any other wrapper files,
> if that is the recommended way to go) under source code control and
> still have site specific configurations available.
Someone else mentioned property files. I leave these out of source code
control and leave it up to each developer to set them up the way they
want. It sounds like you're doing something a bit different, though. You
could have machine specific property files in CVS, then leave a symlink on
each machine, so that the <property file="" /> statement in your build.xml
pick up the right one. Just a thought.

Dan Christopherson (danch)
nVisia Technical Architect (

Opinions expressed are mine and do not neccessarily reflect any
position or opinion of nVISIA.

If you're a capitalist and you have the best goods and they're
free, you don't have to proselytize, you just have to wait.
-Eben Moglen

View raw message