ant-user mailing list archives

From Dan Christopherson <da...@danch.com>
Subject Re: Building a hirechial build system
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:41:36 GMT
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Atul V. Setlur wrote:

> >Yes it is possible to make a hierarchial build system using ant.  There >is a
built in task called <ant> that allows you to specify an ant build
> >script as well as the target within that script to run.
>
> Does this result in a new javac process each time? Additionally, does
> this mean that one would need to define new targets for each directory
> in the main build.xml file?
>
> Alternatively, is there a way of automating the search so that the
> contents of the build.xml files in the sub directory be included in the
> appropriate targets? For instance, if I want to exclude a particular
> package from being included in compilation then I would probably want to
> specify the <exclude> in the directory and would want this to be
> included in my compile target.
Hey, Atul!

You _could_ use a foreach task and run ant as a sub-process. This
_would_ result in a new Java process for each sub-project. Don't know if
that's what you want, though.

--
Dan Christopherson (danch)
nVisia Technical Architect (www.nvisia.com)

Opinions expressed are mine and do not neccessarily reflect any
position or opinion of nVISIA.

If you're a capitalist and you have the best goods and they're
free, you don't have to proselytize, you just have to wait.
-Eben Moglen