ant-user mailing list archives

From "Joshua Davis" <jsd2...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject RE: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:05:21 GMT

We have experienced a very similar increase in speed, although part of this
is due to moving to CVS from Micro$oft Source(un)Safe.

> > Sometimes platform-independance is a cost as well as a benefit
>
> We have a heterogenous development environment, and it is a necessity.

Same here.  Additionally, I've found that most of the developers that are
Windoze-centric don't like installing Cygwin.

> > Writing makefiles that work is a complicated process, but I don't find
> >  that writing ant files is much easier.
>
> I consider myself a grizzled make veteran, but I am delighted at the
> simplicity and utility of ANT and would not hesitate to use it
> again for a Java-centric project.

Yeah, I'm one of thoze 'grizzled make veteran' types.  Make is definately
part of why I am grizzled (and balding).  ANT has allowed the 'non-grizzled'
developers at my company to create and edit their own build scripts.

One of my central points in the ant-dev group has been that ANT is *very
good* at building Java projects.   Some of our products have a customization
requirement, so we can *ship* ANT with the product and allow prof. svcs. to
re-build/configure the product.