ant-user mailing list archives

From "Richard Hensh" <he...@math.msu.edu>
Subject consistent directory structure
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:27:37 GMT
Perhaps this question belongs in another newsgroup but I pose it here since
it might be of some interest.

I've downloaded several of the packages from the Jakarta Project (and
xml.apache.org) and have been dismayed to discover the absence of a
consistent directory structure. For example, ECS stores some jar files in
the top level directory and some are in the "lib" directory. The ORO project
doesn't even have a "lib" directory. Xalan places all of their jar files in
the "bin" directory.

On a related issue, a routine search for ant*.jar indicated that I have 6
copies of various versions of this file (one each for fop, ant, ecs, oro,
xalan, and xerces). Since I have installed ant, is this really necessary? It
seems like it could pose a problem?

Is there any effort under way to standardize the directory structure? Are
there distributions (of any of these) that avoid the overlap.

thanks
ricky