ant-user mailing list archives

From CJ <chol...@4d.com>
Subject Re: only java development
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:59:43 GMT
on 2/15/01 9:08 AM, Doug Moore did scribble upon the ether:

> I just heard about ant and have been browsing the ant-user and it seems
> like alot of development is java. As I understand ant it is a
> replacement for make systems. So ant should handle c,c++ development. Is
> that correct?

It certainly has a lot of emphasis on Java projects, but we're using it for
a very large project that has some C, C++, and Java components.  For C/C++
projects we use properties for the name of the compiler, debug flags,
optimization flags, etc..  Then we use the <exec> or <execon> tasks to
compile things.  This should work well for us, since properties are easy to
change on a per-platform basis.

The option of writing cross-platform tasks in Java is very attractive, and
is one of the big reasons we're going with Ant.

CJ Holmes, Dir of Development                     cholmes@4d.com
4D, Inc.                                 http://www.WebSTAR.com/

   The Clear Vision of Web Development and Internet Servers
   4D v6.7 Demo:  http://www.4D.com/downloads/freedemo.html
   4D WebSTAR Demo:   http://www.webstar.com/downloads.html