ant-user mailing list archives

From CJ <>
Subject Re: only java development
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:59:43 GMT
on 2/15/01 9:08 AM, Doug Moore did scribble upon the ether:

> I just heard about ant and have been browsing the ant-user and it seems
> like alot of development is java. As I understand ant it is a
> replacement for make systems. So ant should handle c,c++ development. Is
> that correct?

It certainly has a lot of emphasis on Java projects, but we're using it for
a very large project that has some C, C++, and Java components.  For C/C++
projects we use properties for the name of the compiler, debug flags,
optimization flags, etc..  Then we use the <exec> or <execon> tasks to
compile things.  This should work well for us, since properties are easy to
change on a per-platform basis.

The option of writing cross-platform tasks in Java is very attractive, and
is one of the big reasons we're going with Ant.

CJ Holmes, Dir of Development
4D, Inc.

   The Clear Vision of Web Development and Internet Servers
   4D v6.7 Demo:
   4D WebSTAR Demo:

View raw message