ant-user mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: consistent directory structure
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 21:40:23 GMT
on 2/8/01 10:38 PM, Peter Donald at donaldp@apache.org wrote:

> He doesn't think what we are doing is correct. He believes ant should be
> simpler, string based and more specific to smallish java projects rather
> than a general build system.

Your first sentence is correct, and part of your second is correct as well.
However if you looked in the directions that I was going with the various
proposals you'll see that a) they weren't necessarily string based and b)
they weren't specific to small projects at all.

In addition, I've never said that the build system should be constrained to
Java only -- but that building Java projects should be the primary
motivator. Anything that fits that model that helps build other things is
fine, however if a feature was needed to build other things that compromised
the mission of easily building Java based projects, it should be pushed back
on.

.duncan

--
James Duncan Davidson