ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ventimiglia, David" <David.Ventimig...@msdw.com>
Subject RE: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:04:18 GMT
Also, the <depend> task in, I believe, optional.jar, will do the sort of
"reverse dependancy" checking I think you're describing.

Cheers,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard S. Hall [mailto:heavy@richardhall.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 12:03 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?

King Dale wrote:

> I run Ant and it builds correctly. But let's say I need to change the
> signature of Foo.test and I add a parameter, but I forget to make the
change
> in Main. If I run Ant again it will tell me that it built successfully,
but
> I have successfully built an inconsistent target. The code will not run
> since Main was not recompiled.

Granted, I haven't used MAKE in a hundred years, but as I recall you still
had
to create dependency rules between files with it as well, it didn't just
automatically know what depended on what.  Perhaps you are suggesting that
since
Ant is specifically for Java that it should have embedded knowledge to
discover
dependencies among classes?

I have only been using Ant for about four days now, but I really like it.  A
more problematic issue for me, is an issue I am having where I have multiple
classes in a single file (they are not public classes), let's call the file
Foo.java.  When I compile my project from scratch after editing a file not
related to Foo.java and get an error, in some cases the compiler has
generated a
.class file for the one public class in Foo.java, but not the non-public
ones.
When I edit the non-related file and re-build, Ant thinks Foo.java is
up-to-date
since it finds Foo.class and doesn't realize that there should be other
non-public classes as well.  The end result is that I get unresolved symbol
errors and need to "make clean" to get rid of the partially compiled
results.  I
didn't think "javac" would do this...

Back to your issue...  :^)  From my perspective, Ant is a build tool.  If
you
want magic, then perhaps you are looking in the wrong place.  Just MO.

-> richard