ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Wilkinson <swilkin...@NETdelivery.com>
Subject RE: rebuild when compiler changes ? (was:How to specify the locat ion of the compiler ?)
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:05:16 GMT
I agree with this since I have exprienced the need for it first hand.

We use ant to generate Java classes.  The java classes are dependent on txt
files.  We would like to be able to determine when a text file has changed
and re-generate the Java classes associated with the text file.  We are
currently using the uptodate and the jar command.  The problem that exists
with this approach is that when one of the text files is deleted the
uptodate command still reports the jar as being uptodate.  However, we don't
delete files often so we can live with it for now.  After the Java classes
have been generated and compiled we also set a property in a properties file
that says that this portion of the build is complete.  The uptodate on the
jar will reset the property in the properties file when the jar is
outofdate.  (Note, we have to copy property files around because in 1.2 I
couldn't figure out how to delete a property from a properties file.)

This process does not impact the CM process. The jar file is created and the
properties set, but it doesn't matter since we always to a clean before a
get from the repository.  The jar is created and all the files are generated
and compiled.

I would welcome an improved depends or uptodate.  Or even a new task that
supported this.  We have struggled in implementing ant because there is alot
of scripting in the old build processs. We compromised and wrote shell shell
scripts that run on bash and on bourne shell so we can be cross platform.

My 2 cents... ;-)