ant-user mailing list archives

From David Rees <d.ree...@usa.net>
Subject Re: Can someone tell me what is so great about Ant?
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 01:19:33 GMT
I think another big advantage to Ant that I haven't seen listed is the
separation of "what" needs to be done from "how" you are going to do
it. I don't think Ant in its current incarnation is prefect in this
regard, but it is closer to describing the "what" than Makefiles are
(or can be).

To go one more step I believe there are actually two parts of Ant. The
Ant XML language (even if there isn't perfect DTD mechanism yet) and
the Ant engine. In theory I can  (and do) change the engine to change
the how. IMHO, Ant's platform independence is really just a by-product
of this what/how separation. Currently there are multiple hows built
into the same Java codebase but it is quite possible to envision a
completely different engine (e.g. Perl) that could read the XML and
run builds.

The above said, I think possible more work to have Ant move this way
would be beneficial.

dave