ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jay Glanville" <dic...@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject RE: jikes and Ant vs. javac 1.3
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:41:03 GMT
Interestingly, I've found (my non-official and non-quantitative analysis
opinion) that javac from 1.3 is comparable, if not better (sacrilege!!) then
jikes.  Jikes CERTAINLY outperforms javac from 1.1.x and 1.2.x, but I
believe that the javac from 1.3 has been totally re-written and performs
much better.

I have actually found that the error checking from javac 1.3 to be more
strict then jikes (jikes will SOMETIMES miss things like case statements
where the case label is based on a variable, but javac 1.3 will catch this
error).

Another advantage of javac 1.3 over jikes is that javac 1.3 fully supports
the JPDA structure, which many debuggers use.  I.e.: if you use jikes to
compile, and then use JSwat to debug, JSwat might complain about not being
able to fully find all the debugging information.  Please confirm this
before you take what I say as gospel.

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: Liu, Kenneth Albert (Kenneth)** CTR ** [mailto:kenliu@lucent.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 1:36 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: jikes and Ant vs. javac 1.3

Hi folks -

I was thinking about switching to jikes for my builds.  My team is currently
using jdk1.3 (javac).

I was wondering if anyone knew of any potential pitfalls I can be aware of
(either with Ant or jikes itself) before making the switch.

Also, besides the speed increase, what else can I expect from jikes.  I
think it has better dependency checking, if I'm not mistaken.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken