ant-user mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <>
Subject RE: How to create a file during a build?
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 00:00:06 GMT
> My question is simply this. How should I do this equivalent
> operation in Ant?

Should is a hard question.

The easiest way to convert is to use <exec> and put the existing
 make commands into a batch file.
That will work for now, and allow you to get the build working, which
 is probably priority #1.

> Should I make use of the Ant scripting task?

That would work.

> Should I  write a special task?

That would be my longterm solution.
If you can acheive it with a task, then I see that as a better solution that a script.
YMMV though.

> Thus I would like to avoid  using DOS batch
> files during the build process if possible

You don't have to implement the lnog term solution immediately.
Writing a batch file now, with a view to making it a task, is perfectly sensible.

> parameterize the task so
> that the equivalent file could be easily generated for a UNIX system.

That's a pain to do.
I'd probably do it in java, although jPython would work quite well also.

View raw message